Freebie Shopping In Second Life: A How-To Guide
Anyone who’s ever ‘bought’ a box of freebies knows to expect six types of crud. And yet, it is actually possible to get serious freebie gear if you know how.
- Don’t waste time in freebie warehouses. Do invest some time in checking out the big shops and the quality malls.
- Some shops have freebie offers specifically for newbies. If your avatar is fresh enough (30 days or younger, for example), you could pick up some great starter hair and clothes (and even skins!)
- Many clothing and hair shops have discounted and even free wares on offer. Last season’s hair or prim skirt may not feature the latest scripted gimmick or texture trickery, but remember that in the virtual world, last season was only a week ago.
- Some shops have group offers. Members may be offered anything from discounts to limited editions to free items to store credit.
- Some shops also do freebies or special offers which are only available in their main store, or in
a specialty sim. Be sure to check them all out.
- Be a girl. Sorry, chaps. Where girls can wear guy clothes and hair, it rarely works the other way. Some items, like male skins, are also particularly rare as a good freebies.
- And the best freebie tip of all: learn to make your gear and own your look.
Hair by Calico Kitty (group freebie)
Skin by Another (Eloh Eliot is legend for giving away quality modable skins – heap praise and money upon her)
Camisole and Jacket by Pochette
Jeans by PixelDolls
Shoes by Shiny Things
Specs by me.